The aesthetic medical field is constantly expanding with new procedures and cosmetic surgeries emerging each year. Regardless of medical specialty or level of practitioner, there are important guidelines to follow before scheduling a cosmetic procedure, including:
- Ask for “before and after” photos; ensure that the work was personally performed by the practitioner.
- When visiting the facility, request a tour to see that it is professional and clean, and that you are comfortable with the team you meet.
- Search online for reviews of the location and the practitioner. There is so much information available online, so do your research!
- Conduct an online review with the applicable State Board to ensure that their license is in good standing.
- Confirm with the applicable State Governing Board that the procedure you’re seeking is within the scope of the practitioner’s license
- Request the number of times that the practitioner has performed the procedure you’re seeking.
- When your practitioner recommends a specific procedure, ask for insights about why that particular procedure is being recommended versus others.
- Take the time to receive a second opinion. This is not about shopping for the best price, but about identifying the best practitioner for the procedure you’re seeking.
- Familiarize yourself with the training your practitioner has received to perform the procedure, and what kinds of online reviews they’ve received.
- Find out if they offer deep discounts and daily deals. If so, be cautious because a busy practice does not need to offer those kinds of heavily discounted procedures.
For more information or to watch Colleen and myself discuss this topic on WTNH Good Morning Connecticut, click here!